"I am a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT). Since 2000 I have worked with individuals, couples and families at non-profit agencies,schools, hospitals, in their homes, and in my private practice since 2008.
In addition to my private practice I work part time at a family medicine office providing medical family therapy and supervise graduate students at the University of Rochester Marriage and Family Therapy program. I am also an adjunct faculty member at Keuka College teaching courses on family development and relationship dynamics.
I have a certificate in Maternal Mental Health from Postpartum Support International.
I have completed the University of Rochester Medical Center's Intensive Training on Medical Family Therapy.
I have acquired additional training in Parent Management Training (PMT) developed by the Yale University and incorporate this behavioral model with my families when appropriate and helpful. See the links below for more details.
I also have a certification in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, a model created by Jon Kabat-Zinn. MBSR has been shown to reduce symptoms of anxiety, depression, ADHD, and medical conditions. I use this with many families and believe it is a great addition to most therapeutic work.
My role with families is a collaborative one - I work with children and their families using their own strengths and creativity. With compassion and understanding, I work with each individual and their unique situation to move towards change and growth.
The University of Connecticut, M.A., Human Development and Family Studies, 2006
Mercyhurst College, B.S., Human Development and Family Relations, 2004
Mercyhurst College, B.A., Psychology, 2004
License, Certifications & Awards
Licensed by the State of New York. License #001025-1
AAMFT Approved Supervisor 2018
Certificate in Maternal Mental Health 2017
Certificate in Medical Family Therapy 2016
Certificate of Completion in Parent Management Training, 2010
Certificate of Completion in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 2009
Professional Activities and Memberships
Clinical Member, American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy (AAMFT)
New York Association for Marriage & Family Therapy (NYAMFT)
AAMFT Approved Supervisor
Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, by appointment only.
The Justamere House
243 Center Street
Canandaigua NY 14424
Please click on the following links for more information on counseling and to see more details on my practice.
Postpartum Support International
Yale University Parenting Center and Child Conduct Clinic
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program - University of Massachusetts
AAMFT--American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists:
NYAMFT-- Connecticut Association of Marriage and Family Therapists:
Tips to help your marriage counseling be successful
Grown Ups get your Crayons Out!
Want to be Happier? Slow Down...
What is a Marriage and Family Therapist? Click Here
- MFTs are unique because they are trained in both psychotherapy and family systems, which allows them to focus on understanding client symptoms in the context of the relational interactions that influence behavior. The problem does not define the client but rather is a symptom of his or her system.
- MFTs work with individuals, couples and families. Whoever the client, MFTs view problems from a relationship perspective.
- Family-based therapy is a powerful model for change. Research has shown that family-based interventions such as those utilized by MFTs are as effective as– and in many cases more effective than– alternative therapies, often at a lower cost.
- MFTs work with a wide range of clinical issues, including depression, relationship problems, anxiety, affective (mood) disorders, substance abuse, and more. Find out more about specific clinical issues by reviewing AAMFT’s Therapy Topics online.
- MFTs apply a holistic perspective to health care; they are concerned with the overall, long-term well-being of individuals and their families.
- MFTs practice short-term therapy; 12 sessions on average. Over 65% of cases are completed within 20 sessions and over 87% by 50 sessions.
Kristin Koberstein, MA, LMFT
243 Center Street
Canandaigua NY 14424